Atif’s kindergarten started in Model town Lahore at Kimberley Hall School. His first stage manifestation was in a fancy dress show at his school when he was in 1st grade, where he performed as Imran Khan ‘Captain of the Pakistani Cricket Team’. Since then cricket was a passion for him. At that time he did not listen to any particular kind of songs.
At the age of 9, he moved to Rawalpindi where he studied at Saint Paul’s Cambridge School. Atif came back to Lahore in 1995 where he continued his studies in Divisional Public School (DPS), Model Town, Lahore. He was selected in his school cricket team as a bowler. Atif cleared his 10th grade in 14 years of age with a distinctive edge that he has always been the youngest boy in the class because of his double promotions while he was in Kimberley Hall. During this period he was putting his best efforts into becoming a professional cricketer.He passed out of DPS after completing his school ending matriculation exams. He also played Table Tennis. He further continued his education at PAF College, Lahore where he completed his FSc with the class of 2001. He then did his Bachelors of Computer Science from PCBA/PICS (University of Central Punjab).
He used to sing at the college canteen when his friends urged him to participate in the singing competition on Independence Day celebrations at PAF College Lahore in 1998. He performed there and won the competition. Thereafter, he also won several other college competitions.
He met Goher, a guitarist and future Jal. bandmate, at his college. Together they practiced and started doing mini-concerts for their friends whether they wanted to hear them play or not. Atif used to perform Junoon and Strings songs at these concerts. They started performing in their college, McDonalds, Uncle Bubba’s Rabba Dabba and other restaurants. Thus began the original line up of Jal.
Jal recorded the song Aadat at Mekal Hassan’s Studio. The song became popular on different musical websites in Pakistan. The song was also being on aired on major Radio channels of Pakistan like City FM 89, FM 100, Mast FM 103, FM 105 etc. The video for this song was released on Ary The Music and then it was played on almost all the channels. Recently, Atif sang two songs for a Bollywood film ‘Ajab Prem ki Ghazab Kahani’ called ‘Tera Hone Laga Hoon’ and ‘Tu Jaane Na’, both of which have been well-received by the Indian audience.Atif also sang many more songs for Bollywood Like in Race “Pehle Nazar mein” and in Kismat Konnection “Bakuda Tum Hi Ho”.
Grade 1 to 3 Kimberley Hall Model Town Lahore ho;;o Grade 4 to 8 Saint Paul School Satellite Town Rawalpindi Grade 9 to 10 Division Public School Model Town Lahore
Always being the youngest kid in the class because of Double Promotions.Main Attack Bowler of School Cricket Team
College FSc. Pre-Engg:Garrison Science Degree College Lahore Cantt.
Main Attack Bowler of College Cricket Team representing college in various other cities and ultimately got selected in under 19 National cricket team of Pakistan. Won his First Singing Competition on independence day celebrations in college.
BCS ( Hons):University of the Central Punjab Won a lot of singing competitions in college
After the release of the song “Aadat” by Jal, there were disputes within the band about Atif’s brother being the band’s manager. At this point Atif broke off from the band to do his own solo album. His solo album was released a few weeks before the release of the new Jal’s (Goher Mumtaz, Farhan Saeed, Shazi) “Aadat”. As both Jal’s “Aadat”, and Atif’s album, Jalpari, shared certain tracks (such as “Aadat”, “Wo Lamhey”, “Rangon Mein” and “Dil Harey”), an unofficial war over rights began between both the groups. Goher Mumtaz sued Atif Aslam for using the name “Jal” in his album title cunningly (Jal pari, meaning mermaid). As the copyright law in Pakistan is quite ambiguous (people can change the name of the content and use the content labelling it as their own property).
Debut Song Recorded: Aadat ( Mekal Hassan Studio) December 2002
Debut Video Shot: Aadat ( Directed by Umer Anwar in Karachi)
Initial Concert Venues:College Canteen, Restaurants, Friends Place etc
First Major Concert: Alhamra Hall Mall Road Lahore Performed during the break of a stage drama Moulin Rouge.
Pop, Rock, Playback Singing in Bollywood Movies
- Album “Jal Pari” Album Launched in Pakistan 17 July 2004 Label:Sound Master, IC Records Album Sales since Release:Three Million plus Copies
- Album Videos- Aadat, Mahi Way, Rungoun Men, Bheeghi Yaaden, Yaqeen
- “Jal pari” has been declared as the “Best selling Album of the Year” for two consecutive years in a row 2004,2005 by one of the best newspaper of the nation “ The News International”.
- Song “ Bheegi Yaaden” was declared as the “Most downloaded Pakistani song Ever” from various Pakistani music websites by “DAWN” newspaper
- 2nd Album “Doorie” Album Launched worldwide 20 December 2006 Label:TIPS, ARY Album Sales since Release:5 Million plus Copies to date
- 2nd Album Videos- Doorie and Remix, Hum Kiss Gali Ja Rahay hen, Ehsaas
- “Doorie” was released worldwide simultaneously in December 2006. Best selling pop album in Pakistan, India and UAE among all the new pop albums.
- 3rd Album “Meri Kahani” Album Launched worldwide 18 January 2008 Label:TIPS, Fire Records Album Sales since Release:800,000 plus Copies to date
- 3rd Album Videos- Hungami Halaat, Meri Kahani, Rabba Sachiya, Q Chor Gay, Kinara
“Meri Kahani” is among the best selling albums of today since its release.